Sunday, March 20, 2011

This Saturday's Mini-Adventures

Right then, let's get started, and let's see if I won't wax poetic while writing impromptu, while my husband languishes in the bath, and I entertain  myself with Chilltrax and writing.

Not avidly inspired by anything in particular, as I get most times when I find myself sitting in a cafe for hours, nursing a warm cup of coffee, watching people.

But yesterday was great, I got to audition for my first theater production/musical/play here in Prague (in English, of course).  That marks my third audition/casting for my first three weeks here since my arrival. Not bad, I say. A good beginning. I have no idea if they'll cast me, or if they find me any good. But I had fun, and each time I come from a casting (for TV commercials) or audition, I'm on a great adrenalin high, kind of like the way you feel after getting off a roller coaster.

Maybe all performers like performing because they like the adrenalin rush?

By the way, my husband and I just embarked on this new activity called Geocaching. We started on Friday, where he found his first geocache, and on Saturday, he forced me to find the second one. I was so scared, but I found it, and it was so exhilirating finding one!

Never again will I look at cities, or Prague (where we have begun geocaching), the same way again. There are so many secrets that the city holds, thanks to such a game.

You can look it up here, in case you would like to know what it's about -

In my words, it's sort of where the old-fashioned scavenger's hunt meets today's GPS technology. You have to be linked online to find these "caches," and then go off in the real world to find them!

There are quite a great many "caches" to find in Prague.

And since I'm from Manila, we thought, just for fun, we'd look up my city of origin online to see if there were any caches hidden there. There are five of them in Manila :)

Of course, it will be a while before we set foot in Manila again, but I think we'll look for at least one cache in each city or country that we find!

We capped off the day's activities by visiting the Orchid exhibit at Botanicka Zahrada, by the Prague zoo.  I'd been eyeing these beautiful orchids and other blossoms since my first days in Prague - they are sold everywhere! We'd had a lot of visits to home-building shops like Ikea and other shops like it, for one. Even at the malls, there was always at least one flower shop selling potted plants and flowers, and I found that I loved to look at them. I wanted to take one home with me.

Last weekend we caught sight of the Orchid exhibit poster, so we decided to make the trip this weekend.

The flowers were great, and I'd never seen so many different orchids as I did then! There were tiny miniature orchids, each the size of a dime, there were funny Lady's Slippers that made me think of those carnivorous plants that devour ants that fall into their holes.

They were smart enough to have a little orchid shop outside, and I got to browse to my heart's content.

Finally, we went to the home-building shop near our home, where I got to stare at more orchids, from the baby ones that were just growing and more affordable, and the larger ones in expensive glass vases.

I've decided to be responsible and look up orchids and how to care for them first before buying one.

We have a lot of indoor plants at home, and I'm finding that if I can't have my cat with me, or get a pet just yet because we don't know where in the world we will be a year from now, that having a flowering plant might be a great activity for the time being.

No comments: