Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Feast Fit for Gluttons

I was just telling a friend that writing is both really good therapy and companionship for a young expatriate who just moved to Europe and doesn't yet have much to do.

When we lived in Manila a few years ago, it was my husband who was the expatriate, and how the submissive, polite, always-smiling people of my country kowtowed to him, this white man. It's always the case. Call me politically-incorrect, but it's true.
Now, a few years later, I suddenly find that I am the expatriate.

How new and strange.

Today marks our fourth weekend together since I arrived in Prague.

Discovering daily what newly-wed life is like, from the everyday mundane things, to the tiniest of daily routines that no one really notices, except yourself. It is both a study and a pleasure, as I dissect my new life, like looking at a favorite piece of art for hours and hours.

We spent this Sunday with his family, dining at a luxurious Brazilian restaurant in the heart of Prague called Ambiente. Here's the link, in case you're curious: http://www.ambi.cz/
Oh my, I never quite realized the joys of ordering a steak rare or medium rare until now, or sinking your teeth into the tenderest of meats, succulently and artfully prepared with the most carefully selected array of spices, bite after bite, slice after slice of sheer carnivorous heaven. 

No wonder so many people pay so much for Wagyu/Kobe beef.  This is what it must feel like. 

Biting into a slice of meat has never felt so good, so orgasmic.

Wait a minute, I don't think my short, generic descriptions of meat heaven and nearly-orgasmic bites of meaty morsels will be enough to paint the picture for you entirely.


Here's the link to the Brasiliero menu -

http://www.ambi.cz/ambi_brasiliero_menu_eng.php 


My favorites from the starters were the fabulously creamy (yes, creamy), melt-in-your-mouth Nigiri Sushi, while I believe my favorites from the churrasco rodizio were the beef with Parmesan cheese, the hump from the Brazilian bull with herbs (although in the resto, they said it was a bull from Uruguay?), and even the fabulous grilled pineapple.

Now, I know, I know, if you're from the Philippines like me, where pineapples are abundant, and incredibly sweet, maybe this is nothing special. But I never thought I would be moaning in ecstasy when I bit into slice after slice of that warm, grilled pineapple. 

A perfect complement to all our meat, I found, was also the fried banana (not to be mistaken for the Filipino bananaque, which is just as good, but that's thicker and coated in more sugar) that was served as a side. Rolling in sweet food ecstasy.

To accompany our scrumptious, three-hour, eat-all-you-can meal, we ordered a 2005 bottle of  Boscato Merlot from Brasil.  Many of us also had a glass of variations of the Caipirinha.  To help us eat even more, a few shots of pear vodka (Hruskovice) here and there, and the occassional shot of Brasilian rum (three years old) and Guatemalan rum (13 years, nice).



Cap that off with a banana and passion fruit mousse over crumbled-over shortbread for dessert.



And off to our third geocache for the weekend!

Vyborne!

No comments: