Friday, March 25, 2011

The Art Scene in Prague

Not that I'm about to embark on a heavily-detailed account of the art scene in Prague, which will take me years of constant research and Czech language lessons to decode, since the art scene is incredibly rich in Prague!

Why one of my favorite stories to tell is that I walked past a theater where Mozart himself played, and it is still intact. Mozart!!! Can you imagine that?! The architectural history of this city is nothing short of astounding, that I better not get ahead of myself. Let's focus and go back to the tale at hand.

I was just going to tell you about my two brief glimpses of the performing arts in Prague.

Some of our good friends treated us to tickets to the ballet of Othello at the Narodni Divadlo (that's National Theater to you, folks) a few days ago.

Now, I tell you, of all the times I'd been in Prague, I've watched two operas (Aida in the summer of 2008, and Carmen in the winter of 2009-2010), and one other ballet (Swan Lake).  My husband, old soul that he is, is quite good at this stuff. 

I have to admit that though I find these forms of art incredibly beautiful, there are a few ocassions during all 120  minutes of it that I tune out every now and then.  I am from a Broadway generation, used to my Hairspray and Cabaret, Chicago and Glee. 

Othello was great though, not once did I lose concentration (I don't know why that happens to me during Swan Lake), and I was completely drawn in to the story and the characters' journeys, desires, and emotional turmoil.

Maybe it helped that I once saw Othello back in my alma mater, the University of the Philippines, about ten years ago. I was so in love with the story, the cast, and the director (Tony Mabesa).  

Last summer, I briefly worked on the play for my summer term at The Stella Adler Studio of Acting in New York City. 

So bottom line is, it always helps to watch a ballet or opera loaded with a lot of information, or some information! The more, the better!

Now, I have to admit, I'm no ballet or dance expert, but it seemed to me that some of the choreography wasn't your traditional kind. There were some moves that Desdemona, Othello, or Iago did that seemed almost modern, sometimes breaking the line, with flexed feet instead of pointed toes. 

I kind of found it refreshing, and different, kept me on my toes! No pun intended ;)

The only complaint my husband had (as well as some folks I realized I knew in the row behind us) was that the ballet was a little too short. All of 75 minutes total, when we're usually in there watching shows that last for 120 minutes.

But I quite enjoyed it, although Youri Vamos, the choreographer and director, took a few liberties and edited out some parts of Shakespeare's story. Some were probably apparently needed for dance - instead of a hankerchief, Othello gave Desdemona a large white scarf. 

However, they also cut out the part where Emilia steals the kerchief from Desdemona, which later on leads to Emilia's discovery that she has also betrayed Desdemona thanks to her gullibility and trust of her husband -- this is another subplot altogether, and in the ballet was simplified, skipping over Emilia, and having Iago be the one to hand the scarf to Cassio's lover.

Iago was brilliant, his choreography incredibly different, almost grotesque-looking to communicate his dark character. I also really appreciated Roderigo, whose frustrations and irrational infatuation for Desdemona was so clearly communicated in his solo appearances and pas de deux with Iago, very clear execution of the message!

Of course, I think we all loved Desdemona's and Othello's pas de deuxs, from the classical courtship, their sensual lovemaking, and especially Desdemona's violent death.

Set design and costumes (Pet Halmen) were just right - I loved how the bare set and the varying shades of the moon communicated so much to the tone, and atmosphere of the scene, bringing more of Shakespeare's words to the dance in another medium.

Since I hardly watch ballets, just seeing the precision of the opening number, with the chorus dancing the exposition for us, drove me to tears. Ballet is so magnificent, so exact, so beautiful. You just can't help but appreciate and be moved by the fruit of such hard work and incredible discipline.

Am I already rambling on? I better come to a conclusion then.

Seeing Othello as a ballet at the Narodni Divadlo was a terrific experience, a great way to spend an evening in March, when winter's just about ending, and slowly, almost reluctantly, giving way to spring.

As for the second thing I was going to tell you about when it came to the performing arts in Prague, I just wanted to tell you that I've been through a series of auditions, and one of them has borne fruit, and I'm so excited! I got cast in Prague Playhouse's You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown, the musical, and will meet the cast this weekend! Shows are in May of this year, so watch out for it!

Still hoping for more auditions, more opportunities, and I'll go to every single one of them, and hope that I get to keep performing here and making a living out of what I love to do. 


No comments: