Friday, March 18, 2011

Looking Back, Part 1

There are just some incredible thoughts I wrote down every once in a while, ones that I won't be able to replicate again, because those things I talked about happened to me for the first time in the winter of 2009-2010, right here in Central Europe.  I guess by "incredible thoughts," I mean thoughts about incredible, first-time experiences.  My favorites are in Looking Back Parts 3-5. But let's begin with arriving in Prague for my first winter.  This one is from 24 November 2009 (entitled Traveling to Eastern Europe):

I was surprised to find myself all sentimental, parting from my family, embarking on a three-month experience away from home.  Only hits you when you're saying your very very last goodbye to your mother!

Anyway, enough of the mushy stuff.

I had a bunch of impressions travelling alone, just random little things, like how right the reviews were on KLM airlines, and about the planes being old.  My flight from Hong Kong to Amsterdam was about 12.45 hours long, and it might have been horrible if I hadn't been so tired and slept through most of it. 

Firstly, there were no little TV consul things on the backs of seats.  It was really nice in Qatar Airways, when I had flown to Europe last year, with their little consuls, tens of thousands of selections to choose from like movies and games, and you could even hit the pause button on your movie selection if you had to go to the bathroom.

KLM didn't even hand out little packets of toothbrushes and toothpaste, good thing I was prepared with my own just in case! 

I also realized that the reviews I had read were probably written by mostly tall male Caucasian travellers all standing about 6 feet tall and weighing close to 200 lbs.  There were lots of complaints about how small the meals were and how there was very very little leg room, so much so that if the person in front of you reclined his seat, there would be no escape and no room to get out! Haha, this sounded hilarious,but I remembered this review well once I found myself on the plane - how true it was!  However, all things are relative, since at 5'7", the leg room was not a major issue, although I could see what the reviews were talking about.  The meals were okay, for an Asian my size, the portions were actually just right.

That's all for now, I suppose.

Just my travelling misadventures.  I've only been in Prague four days, taking it easy, acclimatizing myself slowly.

I guess what I mean to say is, such is the power of the written word, and the internet.  My boyfriend found me these reviews on KLM airlines, and they helped.  It helps to know ahead of time what to expect, so you are prepared (in my case, with a good book, a well-stocked ipod, and a fashion magazine and lack of sleep) to handle the situation.

I'll let you know about my impressions of Prague soon :)

No comments: