Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Big Week

I've been back in Prague for a little over 30 days. And going into my fifth week here in Prague, this week I would say is a pretty big week.

This week marks the start of rehearsals for Prague Playhouse's production of You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown! where I have been cast as Peppermint Patty. This week is also the start of my Czech language classes, which cost a little more than we would like, but that's life.

I have to say I am glad to enter a new month where I will have the opportunity to talk to other people (besides my husband) in English. You know, one can only get by for so long with a handful of stock Czech phrases at the mall, gym, or regular commute around the city, before going eventually a little crazy.

I discovered that during our first reading for the play that I was already beginning to develop dysfunctional habits borne from 30 days of isolation.

One won't really notice at first - after all, I go out every day, either to the mall for some window shopping, or to buy groceries, or work out at the gym. Sometimes a longer commute out to meet my husband, and have a cup of coffee together, or a snack or drink out.

But when I really think about it, who have I been speaking to?

Just you, whenever I get to write (and no wonder I'm on facebook so often, when I know next to nobody here at the moment), and my husband. I see his family once a week, but they speak Czech, and not English, so in the end, we're still conversing through someone else's translation.

And what do I really say to people at the gym or the mall, besides the usual "Dobry den"(Hello) and "Dekuji" (thank you) and "Nashladano" (See you or Goodbye) or how-do-you-spell-it.

So this week is a big week for me, as two new things begin in my life, and I have - finally - my own activities where I can actually engage in casual conversation with other people because we have a common goal, and we know the same language.

It's gonna be a big week. I've got high hopes for this one.

No comments: