Friday, March 18, 2011

Looking Back, Part 2

Just a little more ... my thoughts on 29 November 2009 
(I had entitled this Old Town Square in Autumn):

It is so strange for me here in Prague, arriving late November, when the nights are so so long and the days are so short.  The sun rises past 7am, and begins to set by 430pm.  I've been told the days will get even shorter as fall gives way to winter.  Yipes.  For a girl from sunny, warm, tropical Philippines, it is disconcerting to see such little daylight.  Each day I awake, I feel as if I am on a race against the sun going down.

Still, Prague in autumn is not without its beauties.  The people take care of their architecture so much, that once the sun sets, the city and the old squares are all aglow with light, bathed in beautiful golds and oranges, highlighting the history of the neighborhood, going as far back as when Mozart was a child playing in one theater here or another.  It can be very romantic.

Can't believe it's already the first of December.  Just like that, my first 11 days have flown by, and the Christmas tree has been lit in the middle of precious Old Town Square.

Walking past it, smelling the sweet scents of cinammon and Svarak (hot wine) wafting through the air to comfort cold passersby, is almost like a sweet dream.

No comments: