Thursday, February 09, 2012

Snow Outside My Window

This was written just a couple of days before the New Year, while looking out the window onto Marianske LaznÄ›, Czech Republic.

It started snowing last night. And oh, the magic.
When we arrived there was already a layer of snow to greet us at the Colonnade.
They were melting in patches, but still made me feel so romantic.
Now what's different here is I can't just take my notebook with me and write on the beach. It's freezing outside, so instead, I'm in my silk robe, sitting by the window, watching the snow fall.
It started snowing again last night, and it was magic to see the little balls fall into my gloved hands. When we awoke this morning, there was snow everywhere.
It started snowing again when we went out for a walk, and it kind of hasn't stopped since.

I feel in love and content, as I sit here, listening to Stacey Ken, lost in my imagination, letting the music take me and looking out at the snow snowing on.
Everything is coated with it, the branches all have a 2-inch layer of snow over them, anything in excess falling off.

Snow on, snow.
We will be greeted by a marvelous, white, new year.
Our last days of 2011 have been spent in a blur of wintery walks through the snowy park,
Massages,
And hot meals in between.

The creek rushes on in the park,
A man walks by hidden under a furry hood.
The snow pelts on,
Perishing as it hits the salty path.

There's another couple, hidden in silhouettes and shadows,
Making their way through the thick blanket of snow
That has covered the park.

There's a girl who's bent over to grab a snowball,
As her companion starts laughingly rushing away.

It was oppressingly cold some mornings headed to work,
But Winter has made up for it,
As she snows on,
Almost in celebration,
As well as apology,
Wanting to make up for the cold
By making everything beautiful
With her glorious virgin white
Snow falling down outside my window,
Some fat globs of snow, so heavy,
Giving way to gravity,
Some tiny flakes one can barely make out,
Umbrellas have been taken out,
And winter has lovingly adorned those as well
With layers of frost.

Snow and winter everywhere.
Embracing the streets,
Coating the fir trees,
Just falling everywhere in its own glorious celebration
Of purity and beauty,
Sugary snow covering dirty pavements,
And blanketing railings,
And caressing naked tree branches.
Glorious white flakes from the heavens
Bidding 2011 farewell, you were a beautiful year,
And smiling in turn to the New Year with a glint in her eye.

Snow outside my window.

No comments: