Thursday, June 15, 2006

A tale of temporary alliances and the beauty of the islands.

What a fine way to stumble into the day. I feel many bouts of wishing my sister were with me today, as we coast off towards the famed Balicasag Island, but I keep reminding myself that it was my choice to go off alone, so I suppose I must open myself up to the beauty that solitude can bring you.

All these temporary alliances keep being formed. For example, today, it is with Mang Junie, who I have commissioned to be my boatman for the day, as I swim with the amazingly beautiful fish off Balicasag. It took us forty-five minutes to get from Panglao Island to here, and on the way our boat caught sight of two other smaller islands: Puntod and Virgin Islands. Astounding.

My phone is picking up no signal here, it is as if Nature herself insists that I simply enjoy the island for what she is, without the minor stresses like wondering who will greet me for my birthday.

No comments: